You are here: HomeBusiness Resources

Business Resources

If you are starting a business in Linn County, here are a few things you might need to know:

Helpful WebsitesNetwork Kansas
Southeast Kansas Inc.
Kansas  - As Big As You Think:
Southeast KS Regional Planning Commission:
Revolving Loan Fund (Application and Brochure)
Southeast KS Regional Planning Commission:
Top of page

Kansas Department of Commerce
The Business Development Division of the Kansas Department of Commerce was created to help existing Kansas businesses grow and new ones succeed. Craig VanWey, the Southeast Region Project Manager has information on current state programs, resources and financial aid for business. For more information contact:Craig VanWey
Southeast Region Project Manager
Business Development Division
Kansas Department of Commerce
105 W. Euclid Street
Pittsburg, KS 66762-5101(620) 232-0955 Voice
(620) 232-5952 FaxTTY (Hearing Impaired): (785) 296-3487
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Top of page

Kansas Department of RevenueA new business orientation is conducted on a regular basis throughout the state to help new business owners understand the taxes, rules and forms required of Kansas businesses. Free one-on-one counseling on form preparation, requirements and business tax issues is also available. Dates and location information are listed on the Internet at of page

Kansas Small Business Development Center
The mission of the Small Business Development Center is to provide management and technical assistance, resource referrals, business information and training to small business owners. Free one-on-one counseling is offered on accounting and record keeping, business plan development, business start-ups, market analysis, management information systems, pricing, public relations, sources of capital, cost analysis, computer systems, government procurement, advertising plans, product development, invention feasibility and commercialization. Free resources and referrals are also offered. The office for the Linn County Area can be reached by calling (620) 235-4920.Top of page

Business Licenses
Neither the city nor the country requires a business to obtain a general operational license. However, we suggest that you provide area emergency service departments an after-hours contact person for these departments to call if an emergency involving your facility occurs. While no occupational licenses are required, the state does require licenses for some types of businesses, including those dealing with food or alcohol.Top of page

Building Permits
Depending upon the extent of a renovation, the city and county may require building permits for those improvements. All expansions or new construction require building permits. For information on these permits and related fees, businesses located within cities should call the appropriate City Hall. Businesses operating outside cities but inside Linn County should call Andy Mayhugh, Linn County Planning and Zoning Department at the Linn County Annex (913) 795.2422.Top of page

Property Zoning
All land within Linn County is zoned. To insure that your business is located within the proper zoning, you should contact the Linn County Planning and Zoning Department at the Linn County Annex (913) 795.2422.Top of page

Sales Tax Rates
Sales tax should be collected for retail sales. The current sales tax rate in La Cygne, Mound City, Parker and Pleasanton is 6.3%. Outside of those cities the sales tax rate for the remainder of Linn County is 5.3%.Top of page

For more information about Linn County contact:

Linn County Courthouse
P.O. Box 350, 315 Main
Mound City, KS 66056
Click here for county office phone directory