You are here: HomeLinn County Courthouse

Tourism - Linn County Courthouse

Fast Facts About the Courthouse


Second oldest courthouse still in use in the State of Kansas.

Construction began in May 1885 was completed in late 1886.

The building structure has changed very little since it was first occupied on January 1, 1887.

American Queen Ann style of architecture. Architect George Ropes of Topeka, Kansas.

Dimensions: Length 110'6". Width 61'9". Height 8' rough limestone foundation underground; 5' blue limestone with white limestone trim foundation above ground; first story 13'; second story 18'; double steeples; overall height 65'.

The red bricks were made west of Mound City at the Smith & Mitchell Brick Plant. 625,000 bricks are in the walls. The brickwork was completed in just three months. The bricklayer was paid $10.40 per 1,000.

Limestone for the window and door sills, caps, and ornamental trim came from the Curry Quarry, southwest of Mound City.

Flagstone for the steps and sidewalks came from the Babb Flagstone Quarry northwest of Pleasanton.

The original roof was tile, which was replaced in 1927.

Old canvas awnings were replaced in 1958 with metal awnings. The building currently has no awnings.

The first floor contains six offices, which were originally heated with individual coal stoves. The steam heat system was installed in 1931.

The second floor courtroom (58' x 55') was used in the Gordon Parks film "The Learning Tree" in the late 1960s.

The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Fast Facts About the Courthouse


 

In January 1856, a commission was appointed to locate the county seat of Linn County. The commissioners, James P. Fox and McD. Osborn, made their report in March, and the county seat was located at a point in what is now Paris Township. The sum of $100 was paid for a building to be used as the courthouse.

Following are the dates and results of subsequent elections to relocate the county seat.

November 8, 1859  - Paris 471; Mound City 508.

May 22, 1865  - Linnville 533; Mound City 502.

February 20, 1866 - Mound City 635; Linnville 575.

May 29, 1866 - Mound City 617; Linnville 301; Mansfield 170.

February 14, 1871 - Mound City 1,226; La Cygne 1,589; Pleasanton 1.

March 27, 1873 - Pleasanton 1,183; Farmer's City 1,252. Farmer's City was a brush patch south of Farlinville, so the county seat remained at La Cygne after this vote.

April 14, 1874 - Pleasanton 1,692; La Cygne 1,026

March 9, 1875 - Pleasanton 1,201; Mound City 1,211. This was the final election, placing the county seat at Mound City where it has remained.

A brochure about the Linn County Courthouse can be found by clicking here.